Registration of Birth/Grant of Indian Citizenship
Birth registration of Children eligible for Indian nationality
1. For a child born in the UK to be registered as an Indian citizen, the application is to be made online. For detailed information, applicants are requested to visit the website of Ministry of Home Affairs at web link: http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in
2. After filling-in the application online, the hard copy (printout) of the online application needs to be signed by the parents and the signed application form needs to be submitted at the Consular Section of the Consulate in Birmingham if the applicant (s) reside within the consular jurisdiction of CGI, Birmingham along with other prescribed documents in original, a self-attested photocopy set of prescribed documents and the prescribed fee. For this service, applicants have to apply in Person only.
3. Procedure for submitting online application:
i. Go to Ministry of Home Affairs website by typing in address of web browser http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/ic_form_public.aspx
ii. The applicant after accessing the above-mentioned website shall select the option “Registration of birth of a minor child at an Indian Consulate under Section 4(1) of the Citizenship Act, 1955”
iii. Click 'Apply Online' button to fill up the form.
iv. Each online application form is meant for one person only. Separate application has to be filed for each case.
v. The online form should be filled in Block/Capital letters.
vi. Furnish information exactly in the manner asked for in the forms, especially the names, address and date of birth as per entries in your passport.
vii. Applicants are required to verify the application details before submitting the online application.
viii. Once the online application form is submitted by the applicant, further modifications are not allowed. Hence applicants are requested to check and validate the details before submitting the online application form.
ix. After filing all the details in the online application form, the form is saved.
x. As soon as the form is submitted, a MHA File number will be generated automatically and will appear on the screen as an acknowledgement. The applicants are advised to keep the MHA File Number for further correspondence and online status tracking.
xi. Applicants have to upload the prescribed supporting documents and then click the Print application tab from the main menu.
xii. After clicking on Print application tab from the main menu, the applicant has to enter his/her MHA File Number as an identity to access the submitted application. A PDF application form shall be displayed with an option of pasting applicant's recent passport size photograph. Recent passport size photograph of the applicant is to be affixed on each form in the prescribed space. Photograph to be affixed on the application should be of square shape of size 35*35 mm (with 80% coverage by face). It should have light colour background (not white) without border with front view of the child’s head and shoulders showing the full face in the middle of the photograph. It should not be stapled and should not have any signature. Photographs that do not conform to these standards will be rejected and may cause a delay in processing the applications.
xiii. The applicant shall take the print out of the application submitted. Parents are required to put their Signatures/Thumb Impressions (left for male and right for female) at the designated signature box.
* A person who has not attained the age of 18 years is considered as minor. Parents / legal guardians of the child must sign in the column prescribed for them in the form.
4. After submission of the application online, the applicants are required to submit hard copy of the online application form duly signed by the applicants in the space provided for signature and other supporting documents (as listed below) in original along with a self-attested photocopy set of the original documents at the Consular Counter of the Consulate General of India, Birmingham. The original documents shall be returned to the applicant immediately after verification at the Consular Section. Part II of the online application form contains a declaration form. On the basis of information filled up in Part I, system itself generates Part II. The parent whose name appears in Part II of the online application form is required to submit the application in person at the Consular Section of the Consulate and sign the declaration (in Part II of the online application form)before the Consular Officer at the Consulate.
Documents to be annexed with duly completed online application form:
i. Declaration Form dully filled in and signed by the parents (for Declaration Form, please CLICK HERE’).
ii. Passport of both the parents:
a. In case of Indian Passport Holders: Valid passport in original of both parents and self-attested copies of first two and last two pages of the passport and the page (s) containing passport officer’s observation (s) (if any).
b. In case one of the Parents holds Foreign Passport: Valid passport in original and self-attested copies of the passport pages containing personal particulars of the passport holder.
iii. Full version Birth Certificate(i.e. certified copy of an entry Pursuant to the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953, which contains name of the child and names of the parents) of the child issued by the competent UK authorities.
iv. Certificate of Indian citizenship of parent (s) if the Indian parent (s) has/have acquired Indian citizenship by registration/naturalization.
v. Marriage Certificate of the parents.
vi. Proof of Residence: Any of the following self-attested documents viz. copy of utility bill (landline telephone bill/electricity bill/gas bill/water bill) or Driving License or lease deed (of residence) etc. where the applicant’s UK address is clearly mentioned, should be provided.
vii. Visa Status: Copy of passport page/UK Residence Permit Card showing the visa status should be enclosed.
5. If the application is made within one year of birth of child as per above-mentioned process and subject to fulfilment of the eligibility criteria as per Ministry of Home Affairs guidelines, the Consulate shall register the birth of the child as an Indian citizen and issue the Birth Registration Certificate. In cases, where applications are made after one year of birth of child, the process is same. However, in such cases, a notarised affidavit or an affidavit executed before the Consular Officer of the Consulate from the parents stating the reason (s) for not registering the birth of the child at the Consulate within one year of birth of the child is also required to be submitted.
6. Fee: £19.00 (payable in cash only).
7. Processing Time: Normally, 7-8 Working Days, if the application is complete in all respects.
· Name of the father and the mother entered in the Birth Certificate of the child should match with the names appearing in their passports. In case of any discrepancy/some difference in names, an observation in this regard is required to be made from the concerned Birth Registrar’s office.
· The documents (as specified in Para 4& 5 above and as applicable in individual cases) are mandatory requirements. The applicant (s) may be advised to submit some more documents, after scrutiny of the application and documents at the Consular Section, on case to case basis.
· Applicants are advised to check that all fields in the online application form are filled in and prescribed documents are uploaded in conformity with instructions contained in the website of Ministry of Home Affairs at web link: http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in. In case any deficiency is noticed by the Consulate in online application form and uploading of documents, the applicants would be required to fill up new application form rectifying the deficiency and submit the same at the Consular Section of the Consulate.